We take the scents we smell on a daily basis for granted yet the power they have is incredible, the good and the bad. The memories they hold whether it be a waft of Chanel No 5 reminding me of my Mum or the smell of America that brings back memories of Christmas at home or every time it rains there is just a sense of relaxation.
Since bringing scents into my home with an essential oil diffuser I have become more relaxed and calm and the scents seem much more potent and longer lasting than any candle I have owned. Essential oils have been used for centuries to treat a multitude of illnesses and are still used today for the same reasons making the essential oil world so fascinating. Some oils are so concentrated that it can take 100s of pounds of a plant to make just one oil. If you have never used essentials oils yourself I am sure you would have been around then, if you have ever been for a massage or in a steam room the relaxing smells are most commonly from essential oils and I know I always feel relaxed after either.
Essential oils are not only used to make your home smell incredible or bring back happy memories but each one has a power that can improve your health and wellbeing. This post has come about since I have hopped on the wellness train, you may have seen a recent article on getting relaxed and improving my health with the Hayo'u Method and on twitter I have been banging on about me starting spinning. Go me! So I wanted to talk about the power of scent as I believe they have been contributing to me feeling better in myself and becoming a more relaxed person not one big ball of stress.
I have been using a Raindrop Essential Oil Diffuser from Organic Aromas with no heat or water required and it silently infuses the room. A diffuser is much more cost effective than buying endless candles and you can mix up the scents for something new. The Raindrop diffuser sits perfectly in my lounge and is one trend with the popular Nordic look.
Change Your Mood
Nearly every essential oil can help your mood and senses in some way shape or form and you can mix them to create your ideal scent. I thought I would share my favourite essential oils to fill your home with:
- Peppermint: Now this is a strong scent and great to fill your home with. You will benefit by being more alert and awake giving your brain a good bost filling you with more energy. I use this when needing to concentrate on work.
- Lavender: This beauty will give you the best night sleep you have ever had and in general make you feel nice and relaxed. Every time I use this scent I feel like I am at the spa, and who wouldn't want to feel like that every single day.
- Grapefruit: This is one delicious scent and it is great for mixing as well. Grapefruit had the power to suppress hunger if you are a snacker, YES PLEASE and if you are feeling sleepy it will perk you up with its citrus aroma.
- Eucalyptus: This is a good one if you have a cold as it opens up your sinuses and clears your airways e.g you will breathe better. Great if you want to do a little yoga or a breathing exercise.
- Tea Tree: If you are after a detox, Tea Tree is the essential oil for you with antioxidant properties and the power to stimulate your immune system.
Top Tip: Thiner oils are best in diffusers so if you are using a thicker oil such as: vetiver, frankincense, sandalwood or patchouli dilute these oils with others or with a thin carrier oil like Sweet Almond oil.
What scent would you go for?
This post is in collaboration but all thoughts and opinions are my own along with my mission to be a ball of calmness.